Federation of Asian Bishops’ Conferences (FABC) Office of Social Communication (OSC) coordinates and develops vision for the ministry of social communication in the national conferences and dioceses in the FABC member countries. This service is carried out by means of continental meetings of the bishops, and national commission secretaries. Study and research, seminars, publications on relevant themes on social communication in the context of Asia are some of the major contributions of the FABC-OSC.
As in Asia, there are other continental offices for social communication such as the Episcopal Conferences in Africa and Madagascar (SECAM), Association of Episcopal Conferences in Eastern Africa (AMECEA), Latin American Bishops Conference (CELAM) communication office: DECOS-CELAM
- Liaison with the Pontifical Council for Social Communication, in promoting concerns like the yearly World Communication Day
- Representing the FABC Bishops in their responsibility for Radio Veritas Asia
- Coordination and cooperation with — FABC offices, Communication commissions of FABC-member conferences;
- Professional support for Asian Bishops on social communication concerns
- Promotion of research and study on “Church and Social Communication” in Asia through the Asian Research Center for Religion & Social Communication (ARC)
- Cooperation with –
Catholic media organizations:
— International Catholic Union of the Press (UCIP);
— SIGNIS, the World Catholic Association for Communication;
Christian media organizations:
— Christian Conference of Asia (CCA);
— World Association for Christian Communication (WACC);
- FABC-OSC Bishops’ Meet, annual gathering of Bishop-chairmen and secretaries of Episcopal communication commissions in Asia;
- Bishops’ Institutes for Social Communication (BISCOM), training/seminars for bishops and bishops’ conferences personnel on relevant “Church and Social Communication” subjects;
- Roundtables and Consultations among invited experts on relevant “Church and Social Communication” subjects and themes;
- Monthly newsletter FABC-OSC Communication INFO circulated to all Bishops, formation houses, schools of theology & Church-communication centers in Asia.
- FABC website maintenance
- FABC-OSC Book Series publication, and “For All the Peoples of Asia” (FABC Documents).
- Develop and support academic programs for social/pastoral communication e.g. at the Pontifical University of Santo Tomas Graduate School
- To promulgate within Asia the directives and guidelines regarding social communication by the Holy See and the FABC;
- To keep the Bishops of Asia informed regarding all developments in the field of social communication, particularly those affecting the Asian Church;
- To coordinate the activities of Catholic media organizations in Asia;
- To provide communication training for Bishops, priests, religious and apostolic workers in areas not covered by other organizations;
- To help and support national and regional conferences in the establishment and operation of communication offices;
- To help and support pastoral/social communication formation through academic programs;
- To coordinate with national and regional communication offices in devising ways and means to support evangelization and the ministries of the Church.
Bishop Chacko Thottumarickal
Fr. Raymond Ambroise
P.O. Box 2036, 1099 Manila
Tel: (+63 2) 732 7170
Fax: (+63 2) 732 7171